Sunday, April 1, 2007

Once beaming with confidence, now brooding with doubt

Things haven't exactly gone as planned this weekend, as my best friend from school was admitted to the hospital on Friday and I spent most of Friday and Saturday with her. Thankfully she's doing much better now, and the practice questions can wait for a few days (or a few months). But the event got me thinking about what happens if during the middle of bar prep someone I know is seriously injured or dies. This is a definite possibility, given the sheer number of relatives I have (my father had 12 brothers and sisters, most of whom are married with children). In the California Bar Exam Primer, Rule 6 for Passing the Bar Exam states: Get things done before bar prep starts. Prepay bills, get the oil changed, clean the house, take a leave of absence from work. No weddings, births, divorces, home sales, moves, or new pets during bar prep. Although this is targeted at the person taking the bar, I'm guessing the same logic can be applied to dealing with friends' weddings, births, divorces, etc. I'm already skipping my cousin's wedding and a family reunion as they fall in late June and July. I can't exactly skip a funeral, but I wish there was a way I could completely isolate myself during May, June, and July from anything that could possibly impact my studying.

Related to this is the problem of conveying to my non-law school friends and relatives that I'm going to be MIA for those three months. I don't think my parents ever really understood how much I studied during law school, especially around finals. I got good grades, but they still questioned why I got an A- in any given course instead of a solid A. They're not harsh or demanding, but I've always done well in school without putting much effort in, so they expect good grades. When I explained to them last week that I was getting nervous about the bar, they just said that I was overreacting and they were sure I'd pass. No additional pressure there, clearly. The only other lawyer in my extended family never took the bar exam (he went to law school in Wisconsin and practices in Wisconsin, and therefore was not required to sit for the bar), so there is no one to tell my parents how hard it is. Ah well.

So the revised plan for the remaining hours of the weekend is just to get my BA Corps reading finished and review some materials for my Sports Law class. If the spirit moves me later on today I may try a few contracts MBE questions,,. Or review the California Community Property E&E book that arrived yesterday. I think we spent a day on this in Property, but Minnesota isn't a community property state so I need to focus on this area more than some of the others.

No comments: