Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Looking for answers, committing murders along the way

My BarBri schedule came via e-mail today... you can find a copy of it here. I'm glad that my location has nothing scheduled over the weekends - not that I'm planning on having any sort of social life on weekends, but at least I don't have to get up at the crack of dawn to drive to class on a Saturday morning. I expected the class to run a little bit longer than it does - maybe right up until exam time. Apparently I'll be given a study schedule for the post-class, pre-exam period from BarBri, so ideally I'll be able to stick to that and not procrastinate when I'm done with the class.

Also included in the e-mail was a note about picking up the books. They don't have a pickup location in Minnesota, so I have two options - 1) Wait until the first day of class to get my books (which I can do as they are available in the LA BarBri office), or 2) Have the books sent to me via FedEx for $35. Although I'm dying to get my hands on the materials, I think I'm just going to wait until I get out to California to get them. I don't want to shell out the extra money to have them shipped, and I don't want to have to give up the space in my Saturn to bring them out to California myself when I drive out there.

Speaking of moving - it's miserable. Not only do I have years of crap in my apartment that I need to throw away, I have to figure out how to schedule the move and get all the packing done with my insanely tight schedule. Finals are the first two weeks of May, and I graduate on the 12th. My lease in Cali begins on May 15th, and BarBri starts in LA on the 21st. The moving company gave me a 5 to 12 day window between the time they pick up my stuff to the time they deliver it, and storage is insanely expensive (and most likely over the firms $4,000 cap on moving expenses). The best option would probably be to wait until the 14th of May to have the pickup, but this means that I will need to take at least one day off from BarBri when the moving company delivers my stuff. It also means that I'll be dealing with unpacking on top of studying for the bar, and could potentially spend over a week on an air mattress in my new place.

I can also have my items picked up before or during exams, but then may have to deal with the extra storage costs, which I may have to pay out of pocket as the firm will not cover anything over their cap. Besides that, I go slightly insane during finals, and don't really want to waste a full day watching the movers pack up my apartment when I should be studying. At this point, I wish the firm would just give me the $4,000, and I'd replace everything I had in my place when I got into town. As that's not going to happen, I'm just going to end up picking a date and crossing my fingers. Happy.

1 comment:

biff said...

I'm in the same boat. I might stay in a hotel for a few days.