Thursday, April 26, 2007

You're working hard on a life of your own

Yesterday was my last day of classes... and proved to be very anti-climatic. Perhaps that's because I'm only used to having classes two days a week. Now I actually have to worry about studying for finals. With my seminar paper out of the way, I only have three actual finals, which start a week from today. I started outlining my BA Corps class yesterday, which will end up being the easiest to study for as I've actually done all the reading. FDA and Sports Law will be more problematic - neither class had a book, so I didn't always prepare for class by pulling the cases off of Westlaw. And as a 3L, I didn't always make it to class (though my track record was much better in those classes than it was in BA Corps). Anyways, all bar prep will stop until I'm done with finals.


In other news... Last week I received and read Proceed With Caution: A Diary of the First Year At One Of America's Largest, Most Prestigious Law Firms. It turned out to be a waste of Westlaw points. Perhaps it would be an ok read for someone considering going to law school, but only if that person understands that Keates whines like a 4 year old. His basic point is that firms suck in students with fancy summer programs and big salaries, then work them to death, and partners/other associates can be assholes. I'm not sure why he expected anything else. I just don't think it's realistic to get hired right out of law school at a large firm, get paid 145k/year, and expect to work 9-5 five days a week. You give up a lot for that salary, and understanding that before you sign up is a good idea. And although I didn't have any terrible partner experiences during my 2L summer, I'm well aware that I won't be BFF with all of my co-workers. That's life. Thankfully I don't think that I'll have to worry about it much in my practice group, as I worked with them a lot and heard nothing but good things about the group. We'll see I guess.

2 comments:

AliK said...

you mean we're not going to work 9-5 anymore??? shocking. what practice group are you joining by the way?

Now with 110% more bitter! said...

Send me an e-mail and I'll tell you - since I don't know who this is!