Saturday, April 21, 2007

Our time is running out

As My Bar Tab pointed out a few days ago at the end of one of her posts, I too need to write my friends and family a "Leave me the fuck alone until July 27th" note, or at least convey the general sentiment. It sounds relatively easy in theory, but hasn't worked out so well in practice. While I was drinking with my parents back in Wisconsin last weekend, I told them not to tell me if anyone (aside from an immediate family member) died during the month of July. I was serious, but my mother didn't believe me. She's having a ton of trouble grasping the concept that her uber-smart daughter, who never really studied in her life, would be SO engrossed in one test as to not come back home if someone died. I think my father understood though... or that could have been the PBR talking. As for my former co-workers, a few of which want to come visit me, I basically told them it wouldn't be workable until after the new year. By the time I get finished with the bar, take my bar trip, and get a few months in at work, I'm not going to be settled in enough to have visitors.

Lately I've been working on doing absolutely nothing. I barely have the motivation to wake up in the morning, let alone study for the bar (which I've officially decided to forget about until BarBri, aside from listening to the PMBR CDs in my car). I should be working on a take home final for one of my classes right now, but instead I'm posting in the blog. I haven't outlined for any of my other classes yet, and finals for those start in a week and a half. What's really surprising is that I was a closet gunner all through law school - pretty quiet in class, but worked my ass off when finals hit. I still care about my grades, but not enough to do anything about it thus far.

Instead of studying, I've been taking my bar stipend and going on a mini-spending spree. After buying a replacement computer for the one with the broken screen (which I'm still using, as I'm too lazy to transfer my files to my new computer, which is still in the box), I spent a good week researching flat screen TVs. Two nights ago I finally purchased a Samsung 40" LCD HDTV. No good reason for this really - it's not like I'll have a lot of free time to watch all the stuff I'm planning on TIVO-ing over the summer, I just WANTED it. And this desire was so intense that I knew I wasn't going to be able to study until I bought it.

So I bought it online, and went to go pick it up to get myself that instant gratification I'd been so hoping for. The nice young guy that wheeled it out to my car, when seeing the size of my 99 Saturn, remarked: "Are you a genie?" Apparently I'm not, because despite my fingers being crossed the TV didn't fit in my backseat. I was intent on getting this thing home at this point, so I had him take it out of the box shove it in my backseat. (Good call, placing a $1600 TV unprotected in my car, clearly.) I got it home, only to realize that I was going to have some issues getting it up to my apartment. (Those things weigh a ton.) A managed to get it done unaided, after about an hour baby steps through my building. I hooked up up, and am very pleased with the purchase.

The problem though - 2 days later, my back hurts so much it's hard to bend over, and I still can't study to save my life. Maybe I should buy a new car. Yeah, that'll get me motivated.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Thanks for the link- though people who haven't read my blog before are getting pointed to me at my bitchiest : ) Can you believe that we only have a month until Barbri?