Monday, April 16, 2007

All your friends and sedatives mean well but make it worse, every reassurance just magnifies the doubt, better find yourself a place to level out

I've returned from my mini vacation to Wisconsin. My pre-graduation graduation party was in most respects a success, thanks to my family consuming vast quantities of alcohol. I also had time to visit with one of my good friends who is a 2L at UW Madison, bond with my grandmother, introduce a few co-workers to the joys of cruising on the Ave, and eat what will probably be my last home cooked meal until after the bar exam is over with. I was also supposed to get one of my graduation gifts - an Elliott Smith framed CD. They sent me Bob Seger's Greatest Hits instead. Cruel. Anyways...

Given the emphasis on family activities this past weekend, I fell behind on my bar prep. I did, however, manage to get started on the Contracts PMBR CDs. They're pretty entertaining, considering the subject matter. Props to Daniel Fessler for cracking a few jokes, but not going overboard.

The good news is that the CDs thus far have covered topics that I'm familiar with, and seem to be doing an excellent job of jogging my memory on such evil topics as the statute of frauds, the parol evidence rule, and section 2-207 of the UCC. The bad news is that there is a fuck-ton of information I'm going to have to retain. I have yet to take a law school exam that is completely closed book or closed note... in Contracts we got a 2 page cheat sheet where I could jot down anything I felt I was going to forget (and I got to write really small). I've rarely needed most of the the items I've brought in to an exam, but simply having them there made a huge difference mentally. Now I'll be walking into the exam with nothing but what has been ingrained in my brain - which scares me to death.

Also scary... a Justice Kennedy bobblehead that is up for bid as part of the Class of 2007 graduation auction. Which reminds me of my favorite Guy Charles quote: The eight scariest words in the English language are: "Justice Kennedy delivered the opinion of the court." Hmmm... I think I'm going to bid.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Given the emphasis on family activities this past weekend, I fell behind on my bar prep."

First, don't you have actual classes yet this semester? Second, don't you think it's a bit exaggerated to think it's even possible to be behind on bar prep in April? I'm not trying to be snarky or bitchy - I'm genuinely asking.

Now with 110% more bitter! said...

Yes, I have actual classes - but only two days a week, and I only go to about half of them.

I'm behind on my bar prep in terms of where I wanted to be at this point... which is heavily influenced by a few of the blogs I read discussing how they are already preparing for the exam. I also realize I'm going to have to put things on the back burner after this weeks so I can prepare for finals, pack up my apartment, etc.

And before you point it out - I know I'm slightly psychotic. Thankfully I'm cool with that.

Amanda said...

Yikes to the anonymous commenter- as if we need people stressing us out for stressing out! Anyways, enjoy the contracts CDs- they are the most entertaining of the bunch... it only goes downhill from there.

Anonymous said...

Didn't mean to stress Amanda out, I was just wondering. Thanks for answering!

Now with 110% more bitter! said...

No worries... I'm figuring most people think I'm insane and am overly concerned about the bar.