Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Coast To Coast

So much California specific law, so little time. I just reviewed the "Scope of the California Bar Examination" to remind myself that I'll need to be familiar with California specific rules in Evidence and Civil Procedure (as well as the federal rules). It looks like I'll also need to be familiar with sections of the California Probate Code, and the California Business and Professionals Code. Ah, and then there's California Community Property.

At least for Community Property I got a state specific E&E book. I'm now wondering if I should get more state specific materials for the other subjects, like my own copy of the California Rules of Evidence or Civ Pro. Or just cross my fingers that BarBri will have what I need for these. Preferably with a chart that explains the differences between Cali law and the federal/common law rules... I love me some charts.

I read through the introductory materials in "Scoring High on Bar Exam Essays" - relatively basic information that could be summarized "write logically/write well." I'm hoping that the $50+ I paid for the book will sting a little less when I start using it to write essays, which I won't start until after I begin BarBri. Also - the book hasn't been revamped since the late 1980s (the reason for the big note on the cover that reads "Classic Text." The author did add a 2006 appendix on how to do legal analysis, but all of the sample questions and notes about grading are from the 80's, so I don't know if they are entirely accurate anymore. If you are going to buy the book, you might as well get one of the older additions if it'll save you any $.

I'm in Wisconsin visiting family through this weekend, and it's snowing. According to WeatherBug - "Light snow will become moderate to heavy at times in the Shawano... Appleton...Seymour...Green Bay and Kewaunee areas during the mid afternoon hours. Snowfall rates up to an inch an hour are possible between 2 PM and 5 PM. Northeast winds will gust to 35 to 40 mph in the northern Fox valley and along the Lakeshore." Total accumulations of 4 inches expected. Great. Currently in Los Angeles - 67 degrees and sunny.

The point - although I could have gotten out of taking the bar exam entirely by going to law school and practicing in Wisconsin, there are perks to getting a job in California (aside from the huge salary differential.)

1 comment:

AliK said...

you should think about getting a book for Cal wills and trusts. They've had a wills or trusts question on the bar all but two times in the last 6 years or something like that. Plus, they love to use it as a cross-over question with community property. Or at least, that's what they tell me.