Friday, April 6, 2007

I don't need to walk around in circles

Yesterday my firm sent me an e-mail regarding some first year associates views on PMBR in an attempt to help us decide if we should take it or not. Of course, there was no clear cut up or down vote - comments ranged from "a complete waste of a weekend" to "definitely take it." The firm covers BarBri but not PMBR, so despite my intense desire to sign up for everything bar exam related, I'm going to wait until I see how I do with the multiple choice section in BarBri before signing up. I've already purchased all of the PMBR CDs (and am only a third of the way through ripping them on to my computer), so I'm hoping if I just get one PMBR books and use that on my own I'll get everything I need to without having to attend the class.

What struck me more about the e-mail was the fact that at least some of the people had taken the bar more than once. I've started wondering more and more lately about what happens to those who don't make the cut the first time around. There was no discussion of this over the course of my 2L summer at the firm, and nothing in the materials the firm has sent out thus far. I'm scheduled to start work in early September, before the bar results are released. So if my worst fears are realized and I don't manage to pass, do I just continue working as a clerk? Is my salary cut? Do I get asked to leave until I pass? Perhaps it's better if I don't know what happens - and let the fear of the unknown act as additional pressure to study my ass off and "make it work."

I also asked the Prof. I'm an RA for what he suggested in terms of bar prep, as he somewhat recently took the Cali bar exam. His response: "Go to the lectures. Focus on the Convisor Mini-review outline thing (or whatever that's called). Put together your own shorter outline (like 5-10 pages per MBE subject). that'll be enough." Then again, he graduated from one of the best 2 law schools in the nation and is insanely intelligent. But it's a start.

3 comments:

biff said...

Typically you'll be given a talk, and time off to study for the Febrary bar. If you fail again, you'll be fired.

Now with 110% more bitter! said...

Actually, I checked in with my firm - and the policy is somewhat different. After they find out you fail, you are placed in a large pit in the basement of the building (next to document services), and the senior parters through large rocks at you. If you last more than 24 hours, you get to retake the bar.

AliK said...

oh crap! we'd better not fail then. From what I hear we actualy get 2 chances to pass and if we don't pass the second time, THEN they take you into the basement.