Tuesday, May 1, 2007

If I could be sweet, I know I've been a real bad girl

Late last night I was talking with a good friend of mine, and learned that the questionnaires from the Moral Character folks had gone out. He has an odd sense of humor, so the conversation went something like this:


J: You better be nice to me.

Me: Why?

J: I received that form today for your lawyer thing.

Me: Seriously??? What does it say???

J: Not telling.

Me: C'mon! Please? I'm dying to know!

J: No.

Me: [Fifteen minutes of begging.]

J: [Fifteen minutes of refusing to tell me anything.]

Me: PLEASE!!!!

J: Okay, fine. [Reads off questions - 11 total - How long have you known the applicant? Do you know if the applicant has committed a crime? Been a party to a lawsuit? Has a mental illness? Has a chemical dependency problem? Is generally honest? Etc. Each question has a check-the-box answer: Yes, No, Don't Know, Prefer Not To Answer. If any are answered "Yes" then the person filling out the form is supposed to write out an explanation.]

Me: Well, you're going to check "No" for everything right? [Because I haven't done shit, I grew up in Wisconsin, for christ's sake.]

J: No, I think I'm just going to put "Prefer Not To Answer"

Me: That's funny. Please don't. Please. [Additional begging.]

J: Okay, fine. Oh wait, I forgot one question. "Do you think that the applicant should be admitted to practice law in the State of California?" I'm going to put no for that one.

Me: What?!? Why?!?

J: Don't worry, I can explain the answer on the back. I'll just write that lawyers are blood-sucking assholes, and that I don't want you to be one of them. They shouldn't hold that against you.

Me: Oh dear god.

J: Don't worry about it, it'll be fine.

Me: Right.


I really should have picked my friends' parents to fill these things out... Sense of humor + Bar App = Moral Charactrer Failure.

1 comment:

biff said...

Yah I should have had them sent those to my various aliases.