Thursday, May 24, 2007

So you left me on my own to complete the mission

Today was the first day of torts... and went pretty well. The speaker, Robert Schechter, is pretty damn entertaining. Only 2 minor complaints: 1) he kept us over about 1/2 hour, which could have been eliminated if he spent a little less time on the details in some of his hypos, and 2) I think he's leaving out a few things that we really should know for the bar, such as the role of corpse mis-handling in IIED cases and the role of the 1st amendment in defamation cases. Granted, for the latter he told us to go through the conviser for the material, so that's excusable, but overall he tends to speak in pretty broad terms with clear-cut hypos that are a lot easier than we will get on the bar. This sort of scares me. But for pure entertainment value when I've had less than 5 hours of sleep and not enough coffee, he gets an A+.

Anyways, last night I did the first two sections of MBEs for Con Law, averaging about 70% correct. Of the 30%, I missed 2 where I think the question was fucked up for some reason, a handful I just misread, and the rest I straight up didn't know. I took some decent notes on what I fucked up, and will be converting that to flashcards tonight. Should be fun. I was actually surprised at how many I missed - I would have thought that coming out of 2 straight days of Con Law I'd pull at least an 80%. Welcome to my ego.

I also just finished the first Con Law essay, getting what I think would be most of the points on it, and missing only one minor issue. Sadly, it was the easiest Con Law essay (the book goes in order from easiest to hardest in each section). I think I'll do the second one after I finish my flashcards for tonight. Or perhaps tomorrow to see my ability to retain things overnight.

The BarBri schedule has "Review" section on it every day with a given topic. I have no idea how much time I'm supposed to spend reviewing each day - and it's a lot easier to just knock out the MBEs that are assigned and go home. Starting next week I'm going to have to set up a firm schedule for myself so I don't continue to procrastinate. I think that's where the extra MBEs will come in - I can set a goal of an additional 50 - 100 MBEs per day with time to go through the answers, which will tack on the additional reviewing time. And avoid me staring blankly at my outlines.

I'm also going to hunt for a different coffee shop starting when I get home tonight. The tables at my place in Venice are too small, they don't have diet coke (or any pop for that matter), and about 1/2 the baristas seem pretty pissy (although there are a few good ones here who I like). SO - if you know of a place between the West LA BarBri location and downtown LA that has: 1) free internet, 2) large tables, 3) power outlets, 4) diet coke, and 5) good baristas, please let me know. Good bar karma will come your way, I swear.

4 comments:

biff said...

I've never read the corpse mishandling cases, but according to CMR, corpse mishandling is under NIED, not IIED. CMR Torts p. 26, 4(a). This sort of baffles me, b/c NIED is supposed to be situations where you almost kill someone.

BTW Schechter's great isn't he?

Now with 110% more bitter! said...

Ah fuck. Shows how much I know about torts - you're right there, i just forgot the fact that that was an intentional tort we were discussing. Blah.

Yeah, I like the guy - and I get him live. I'm hoping he wants to take us all out for beer after tomorrow's lecture, but I doubt that will happen. Hopefully you got his little tirade about Lassie during your lecture - I almost lost it during that one.

biff said...

Yah I also liked his bit on loathesome diseases. He has a few good moments in day 2, mostly towards the end.

Wendi said...

Holy cow ... I started Barbri late and am swimming to catch up. In my moment of solace seeking to that fact, I found this. I just had Schechter, on about four hours of sleep. I thought, at one point, I would not be able to reel it in ... so funny. He did skip a lot, but I'm finding lectures just add more to that "staring blankly at my outlines" bit and the CMR is really my friend for keeping it simple. My favorite Schechter moment was the hypo you mentioned (verbatim) about not quitting drugs until after the bar exam, and his little comment about the travesty of moving to digital film and no longer having a film canister to keep weed in. Didn't get Lassie though. Thanks for writing this, it's nice to remember people went through this before me.