Tuesday, May 1, 2007

You're getting carried away feeling sorry for yourself

Two days ago I turned in my two-months notice at my apartment building. My lease runs through the end of June, so I'll be stuck paying rent in Minnesota even though I'm moving to Cali in less than 2 weeks. Yesterday, after a full day at coffee then 4 additional hours of studying/screwing around at Perkins, I came home at about 3:30 AM to find a note stuck to my door: "We will be showing your apartment home on May 1, 2007 at 12:45 and May 2, 2007 at 5:30 PM. Please have your home in showable condition at this time." I was annoyed at the fact that I'd have to clean up my place when I got home late tonight to prepare for tomorrow's showing.

Then I realized that May 1st was today.

Less than 24 hours notice from my management. I could have killed them. Instead, I was up until 6:00 AM throwing laundry in baskets, moving around boxes, scrubbing my counters and bathroom, etc. Most of my apartment is packed up, but the boxes are everywhere and a lot of them have yet to be sealed up. I left an angry voicemail with the building manager explaining that I was in the middle of finals and would appreciate at least 24 hours notice before they went through my place. 10 hours later and I have yet to receive a return call.

To make matters worse, after about 4 hours of sleep, I got up earlier than I had planned to take the trash out and clean up a bit more. As I walked out of my apartment I found a note stuck on my door: "We're replacing the boards on your deck. Please have any items on your deck removed by tomorrow morning." I have a few things on my balcony, which wouldn't be a problem to move aside from the fact that all of my sealed up moving boxes completely obstruct the balcony door. And some of the those fuckers are heavy.

I'm thoroughly contemplating using my worn down patio furniture to block my apartment door as I leave tomorrow morning. Or setting the furniture on fire. Or both.

2 comments:

Richard said...

So are you taking california bar exam in july 07? Or u taken it and passed already? :)

Now with 110% more bitter! said...

I'm taking it in July 07.