Friday, May 25, 2007

I'm a victim to the impact of these words

This morning I decided that sleep was more important than attending the live session, so I held off on Torts 2 until 1:30. There were about 20 people there total, which seemed really strange. I was actually more distracted than I would have been if I was in the crammed live session, but only because there was a person sitting next to me who came in late and spent her time there by playing with her hair and her outfit. And texting people. I'm not sure why, but it really through me off. I actually should encourage this type of behavior so there are more folks out there lowering the curve. Ah well. I think I'm still going to try to make it to the early sessions so I don't start my day too late, but it's nice to have a morning off every once and awhile. And the sleep was fantastic.

As for the substantive portion of class - it went well. My favorite line from the prof went along the lines of "If you are doing drugs, don't stop between now and the end of the July. Now's not the time to go cold turkey." If it wasn't for BarBri, I would have kicked my coke habit like I had planned to tonight. And then I just be screwed. NIED was covered, but sadly the corpse cases were not. I was a little put off about his cursory treatment of nuisance, which I know will be on the bar, but there's always the mini-review and PMBR audio CDs for that. Torts should really be a 3 day subject instead of 2.

As I've not had any suggestions yet on a better coffee place, I'm back at my normal venice spot until close. I'm hoping to type up my notes from Torts 1 (when I didn't bring my laptop, as I assumed that we would have been given a handout form to take notes on like Con Law) and get through the MBE Drills. If I have time, I'll then get through as many practice MBEs as possible before calling it quits. Tomorrow we have a morning essay writing lecture, so I won't be going out anywhere tonight (or for the next 2 1/2 months).

To conclude - random thoughts about Cali thus far:
1) Apparently there is no such thing as "skim" milk here. It's "non-fat" milk. My barista almost gave me soy because she didn't understand what I was asking for.
2) It took me less than 24 hours to turn into a horrible driver, doing 50 in residential neighborhoods and 80 on the interstate, and weaving through traffic like a madman. And yelling obscenities at other drivers, of course.
3) I don't get the big fuzzy boots thing that I keep seeing people wear (with skirts or shorts) to the morning session. That sort of thing makes sense in Minnesota when it's 20 below, but not when it's 75 and sunny here. I'm never going to be trendy. Ever.
4) There needs to be a Ralph's in downtown LA. By the time I got back from the grocery store yesterday, my frozen food had been fully cooked.
5) Apparently your car can get impounded for not having valid registration stickers, or so my one non-law-related Cali friend found out last night at 2 AM when the cops pulled him over and drove his car away, leaving him on the side of the road.

No comments: