Thursday, July 5, 2007

I'm a loser baby, so why don't you kill me?

So I threw out the paced program (actually, it's buried in my trunk) and set up a new schedule for myself - the next 5 days or so I'm going to outline all of the subjects I hadn't gotten to yet (which was most of them). After that I'm going to be doing essays in the 2 weeks prior to the bar - 2 subjects a day - for a total of about 10 hours of studying (more if I can get my ass out of bed in the morning). I'm also going to do 100 MBEs or so a day. It's crunch time now, and I know this, and I don't feel prepared. It's sort of freaking me out. Most of the material for contacts that I've gone over so far seems familiar, but I don't know how I'll be able to recall it for the essays. Then again, looking over the prior bar exam essays, they don't seem overly difficult. I'll be able to hit most of the big issues, and ideally BS my way through them. Hopefully.

I'm starting to wish that BarBri was more uniform in terms of how the subjects were presented - some of the outlines from class were great, others were pretty shitty (like Civ Pro - way too much detail on stuff that won't be tested - or would only be worth a point or 2 - like days to serve). When I'm doing my own outlines I'm cutting out what I know I won't be able to remember come test day and focusing on the big picture. I think I'll be able to pass doing that. Once again - hopefully.

As to the Random Question - turns out that the guy was a realtor who was giving out his business card with the ice cream. My initial response was that the truck broke down, my friend (who was given the free ice cream) - thought that the person had just seen his dad outside working on the AC and felt guilty for the people inside. I guess that makes me the more cynical one, especially as I thought his response was insane. I think I likened it to the FEMA Ice Cream Service.

I've begun to think that watching TV is going to be more helpful for my bar prep than I thought. Within the last few days, I got to review the elements of arson, murder, and attempted murder thanks to an early X-Files episode. Negligence came up on an episode of Ice Road Truckers. And thanks to the one soap opera I've watched since I was 8 years old - Y&R - I've hit conspiracy, duty of those who undertake a rescue, defamation, false light, the spousal privileges, and accomplice liability. Too bad my friends don't find this as entertaining as I do.

Back to outlining.

3 comments:

biff said...

Sadly I've given up on outlining. Civ pro is what did it for me. If you continue, outline the most likely subjects first.

Alexis said...

You didn't mention the PTs.....don't neglect those.

Julia said...

Holy shit. I just stumbled upon your blog because I was searching for more info on that weird little man named Michael Kaufman who did our Bar/Bri Federal Civ. Pro. video. He somehow taught me civ pro better than I learned in law school.

Anyway, I'm with you on abandoning the Pace Program. It made me feel too overwhelmed to keep following it. The advice I've been getting from others who've passed the bar is that when the 2 week crunch time starts, you should have some form of an outline in your hands covering every subject.

I also have been finding awesome tools of review from my TV. In fact, I saw an episode of the Rockford Files yesterday where Rockford gets called in to testify before a grand jury. It was a fantastic way to learn crim. procedure in grand jury proceedings. If you see the episode on TV, you should watch it. Or watch a clip here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_TVVNjYkAs

Back to outlining Missouri Civ Pro. Thanks for the diversion.