Friday, July 27, 2007

I needed to be rescued

Ok - so I wrote up a letter, printed out confirmations of my upload times (they hadn't magically changed to before the deadline, however), and drove over to the State Bar to deliver the letter to the admissions people. They didn't have much to say, other than that I would get a letter telling me what they were going to do.

The good: Apparently there is at lease some discretion on the part of the bar to accept late answers. I was "only" a half hour late, dropped off a letter to the bar within an hour of uploading my answers, etc.

The bad: I have a really lousy excuse.

At least if they send me a letter telling me I'm screwed, I'll know in advance that I have to prepare for the Feb 08 bar. Sure beats waiting until November.

One of the girls I used to work with back before I moved out to Cali called me when she read the blog (thanks KA/MD) - that helped a bit. I know this whole thing is out of my hands at this point, that my luck sucks, that it's my own damn fault, etc. I even wrote an e-mail to my law firm director of attorney hiring, to see what happens if I don't pass. I think we get a second chance at it, but I'm not sure.

The worst part of all of this - I think I did enough to pass. I missed some issues (attempt as the lesser included offense for murder, for example) - but most of my answers were half-way decent. If they don't accept them, I don't even get the 40 for showing up - it's a zero. I have yet to talk to my parents, but they aren't going to be impressed. And they'll be worried I'll kill myself (which I won't, life goes on).

I'll deal with whatever they decide. Hopefully the begging in the letter to the director was enough. If not, well... not sure yet. Maybe it won't have hurt to learn all those damn CA subjects.

14 comments:

biff said...

Dude, if you don't pass - I am so sorry. If you do - it'll be a nice story.

calbar blondie said...

I am so sorry to hear this happen to anyone. I personally think the uploading thing is very chancy; I had to wait three hours for confirming emails on Tues. eve. and still don't trust they're really there. I hear they do contact you within a month if they can't find them in the files. Then they go on your hard drive and retrieve them.

ATC said...

actually my friend only did PT B and forgot to the 456, but she thought she did. Her thing did it manually so she had to do them separately.

But she realized she didn't at 4pm on the 27th. She literally cried her eyes out. But i think they say she can write a letter and explain. Then they called her back maybe because they felt bad, but they said they are lenient in accepting late answers and they start grading around mid august. So no worries.

But i'm sure some of you cutthroat people think this is unfair and the deadline should be strictly enforced...though its all about whose shoes you are standing in.

Anonymous said...

That SUCKS man.. but no offense, why didn't you upload them as soon as you could? I can't imagine waiting until 30 mins before the deadline... especially with internet connections being so hit and miss.

Sad.

Anonymous said...

hey the same thing happened to me. you're not the only one who had problems with examsoft. hopefully they will understand :(

Anonymous said...

I agree with Anonymous #1. Why would you wait until the deadline to submit your answers? Why, when you realized you didn't have an internet connection, didn't you report to the local library, college campus, or coffee shop to take advantage of their free wireless (and do it on the double!)? Or, why wouldn't you call the State Bar and tell them of your troubles, instead of screwing around for an hour (which was 1/2 hour past the deadline)thinking you could handle it on your own? I'm not buying your story. I mean, if this story is true, you would have most likely contacted the Bar right at 10 telling them you were having difficulties. You overslept; hope you pay the price!

Anonymous said...

To "Hope you pay the price,"

That is the harshest, most insensitive comment I have ever heard. You should be ashamed of yourself. Speaking as though you have never made a mistake, or at some point in life failed to take the most prudent path. From the offhanded manner in which you speak I have strong doubts that you haven't found yourself in a mess on more than one occassion. It is a shame that in testing moral character the Bar does not look into factors such as lack of sensitivity and a disregard for humanity. If they did, you would be sure to pay the price.

Lawfrog said...

I'll be thinking good thoughts for you. I took the Texas Bar on laptop Feb. 2005 and my biggest fear was something like this happening. It didn't and I passed. Never so grateful for anything in my life.

Sending good thoughts for you.

Anonymous said...

"It is a shame that in testing moral character the Bar does not look into factors such as lack of sensitivity and a disregard for humanity."

If the Bar looked into those characteristics, we'd have no attorneys! (Only kidding!)

Anonymous said...

Have you heard from the state bar yet? What did they say?

h said...

Any word on whether they'll accept the exam? Hope its good news. . .

The Grand Poobah said...

Ditto the last couple of comments. Any news from the Powers That Be?

Anonymous said...

Is anyone else worried about how long its taking to find out the deal?

Anonymous said...

Are you alive?